This list has been put together in response to enquiries from cyclists, as well as from our own knowledge and research. Please note that the Isis Cyclists group is not responsible for the content of any of the websites listed. We check the links every few months, but if you encounter any broken links please let us know via the Contact Us page.
Note: Links to external websites open in a new tab.
- Oxford City Cycling UK: The Oxford City section of Cycling UK (see below), and the parent group of Isis Cyclists. The group organises rides most Sundays, with routes varying from 35 to 70 miles and including coffee and lunch stops. A number of Isis Cyclists members also ride regularly with Oxford City Cycling UK.
- Cycling UK Oxfordshire: A hub for Cycling UK activities across the county and slightly beyond. The website contains some useful links.
- Cowley Road Condors Cycling Club: A road club with an unusually high proportion of women members (40%). Some women who started with Isis Cyclists now also ride with the Condors.
- Abingdon Freewheeling: A friendly and inclusive cycling club with riders of all styles and abilities.
- Cyclox: A campaigning group, the voice of cycling in Oxford.
- Cycling UK (formerly the Cyclists’ Touring Club: CTC): The national cyclists’ organisation. Cycling UK/CTC has championed the cause of cycling for well over a century. It promotes all forms of cycling, protects the interests of existing and would-be cyclists, and inspires people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to discover the joys of cycling.
- Women’s cycling groups elsewhere in the UK: A list compiled by Cycling UK, but without links to the websites of individual groups.
- Sustrans: A national campaigning group. Sustrans works with families, communities, policy-makers and partner organisations across the UK to enable people to choose healthier, cleaner and cheaper journeys, and to create better places and spaces to move through and live in. A section of the Sustains website focuses on cycling for women.
- The Adventure Syndicate: A collective of women cyclists committed to encouraging and enabling women – and everyone else – to identify their ambitions, overcome the obstacles that stand in their way, and make the most of their talent and potential.
If you offer a service to cyclists in the Oxford area and you would like to be considered for inclusion in this list, send us a message via the Contact Us page.
Cycle shops and repairs
Listed in order of postcode (telephone numbers are in parentheses; area code is 01865):
- Bike Zone: 28-32 St Michael’s Street, OX1 2EB (728877)
- Warlands Botley Road Cycles: 63 Botley Road, OX2 0BS (723100)
- Walton Street Cycles: 78 Walton Street, OX2 6EA (311610)
- Summertown Cycles: 200-202 Banbury Road, OX2 7BY (316885)
- Beeline Bicycles: 205 Cowley Rd, OX4 1JJ (246615)
- Electric Bike Shop: 125 Magdalen Road, OX4 1RJ (243937)
- CycloAnalysts: 150 Cowley Road, OX4 1XA (424444)
- The Oxford Bicycle Company: 251b Cowley Road, OX4 1XG (240879)
- Reg Taylor Cycles: 285 Iffley Road, OX4 4AQ (247040)
- Broken Spoke Bike Co-op: The Gates, 42 Pembroke Street, OX1 1BPA. Teaches people how to ride and repair bicycles. Beryl’s Night, on the first Thursday of every month, is an evening for women and trans folk only.
- The Windrush Bike Project: Fairspear House, Leafield, nr Witney, OX29 9NY. A community interest company bringing together cycle training, maintenance, campaigning and culture.
Taking your bike on a train
Links to relevant pages on the websites of the train companies serving Oxford:
- Cycle routes from Oxford: A blog containing lots of ideas.
- Cycle map of Oxford produced by Cyclox: This map shows all the on-road and traffic free cycle routes in Oxford, including National Cycling Network route numbers. The link takes you to the interactive version, with contact details for obtaining a printed copy. Printed copies are also usually available at bike shops.
- Fix my street: Report a road or street problem in Oxford or elsewhere in the county.
- By Bike: Information from Oxford University about the cycling-related services available to staff and students.
Guidance on safe cycling
- Rights and Responsibilities: A ‘hang-up’ flyer from Cyclox (available to download in PDF format)
- The Highway Code: Rules for cyclists (59-82): Includes an overview, road junctions, roundabouts and crossing the road
- The Highway Code: Annexe 1. You and your bicycle: Information and rules about you and your bicycle
- Chain Reaction Cycles: Supplier of equipment and clothing
- Corinne Dennis: Small company based in Cornwall, dedicated to producing high quality, handmade, performance cycle clothing
- Evans Cycles: Supplier of equipment and clothing; online presence of FW Evans UK, which has a number of stores throughout the country
- VeloVixen: Specialist in women’s cycling clothing, based in Wheatley
- Wiggle: Supplier of equipment and clothing