Isis Cyclists is an informal organisation and doesn’t have any official posts such as secretary or treasurer. Those responsibilities are taken by our parent group, Oxford City Cycling UK, although one of us is a co-opted member of the Oxford City committee.
Instead of officers, we have a loose central group of ride leaders, who get together three times a year to plan our programme and volunteer to lead individual rides. All of them are members of Cycling UK.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since 2008, but not quite from the very start.
- The bike I most like riding at the moment is a Marin mountain bike because it gets me off the road and away from traffic.
- My favourite routes for an Isis Cyclists ride are the many different routes within the ring road, joining together green spaces and surprising people with these secrets on our doorstep.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means great women for company and learning new things, and especially comparing where the best coffee/tea and cakes are to be had.
- When I’m not out on my bike, you’ll find me rock climbing somewhere in the UK, gardening or just relaxing in the garden.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since it started way back in June 2008!
- The bike I ride is a Thorn Raven, a heavy duty (and weight) touring bike, but sometimes, I ride my little green Brompton instead.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is a circuit of Otmoor, whatever the weather!
- For me, Isis Cyclists means being able to share my passion for travelling on two wheels with so many interesting women. Oh yes, and eating cake!
- When I’m not out on my bike, I work part-time at the local environmental record centre and in my spare time I enjoy both watching wildlife and doing practical conservation. I am also a keen clarinettist and play in several musical groups.
Jane Carlton Smith
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since 2011. I joined the Big Pink Pedal and have never looked back.
- The bike I ride is a Trek hybrid, an amazing workhorse that performs better than its rider.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is anywhere west towards the White Horse, Lechlade or Burford. I particularly enjoyed the ride I led on the 2017 weekend away from Lechlade, via Kelmscott and the Cotswold villages to Fairford.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means companionship, fun, exercise and cake when you deserve it.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I practise T’ai Chi and Pilates, tend my garden and allotment, work as a magistrate occasionally and generally enjoy my life of leisure as a retired person.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since the summer of 2017.
- The bike I ride is a Cannondale.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is when we go north of Oxford and explore the area and villages around there. I also love any of the rides that go along the river and the canal.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means friendship and coffee! I couldn’t believe how welcoming everyone was when I first came along and that continues to be the case. I always know I will have a good day out.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I enjoy the cinema, swimming, singing, learning Spanish and travelling (recently retired!).
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since 2008.
- The bike I ride on a medium or long ride, and that has taken me to several different countries, is a Raleigh Royale, bought in 1982. I’ve recently bought a more upright urban bike made by Kalkhoff which is lovely for cycling around Oxford.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is anywhere away from the traffic, with good company, an excellent coffee stop and not too many hills….and lovely weather, of course! I love cycling in the Vale of the White Horse.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means regular exercise, companionship, appreciation of Oxfordshire’s lanes, the chance to meet interesting people of all ages and nationalities, the opportunity to discover new routes (I’m still doing this – 10 years in!) and great refreshment stops.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I can be found walking, gardening the allotment, meeting up with friends, singing, volunteering…. (recently retired!)
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since … I cannot really remember, but probably 2013 or 2014.
- The bike I ride is a hybrid Ridgeback.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is one that has some but not many hills, mostly country quiet roads, a decent number of miles and on a beautiful day.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means a friendly group of people with whom it is really nice to be out on a bike.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I may be walking, exercising, reading, gardening…and working.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since October 2013 (I still remember my first ride to the “Ice Cream Farm”). I was probably born on a bike; my mum cycled all her life in all seasons and weathers.
- The bike I ride every day is Bianca, a white hybrid Ridgeback with two baskets (ideally I would have 3-4 baskets, but maybe it’s a bit too much). Juju is my ‘new’ 1970 recycled Peugeot bike. Yes, I do name all my bikes: they are not simple objects, they are my freedom.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is to Jane’s enchanted tea garden by the Oxford Canal at Kirtlington. I discovered this hidden gem several years ago during Bike Week when it was still a well-kept secret.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means a crazy and fun group of women who enjoy cycling each other company and discovering new places.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I run (half marathons so far) dance Lindy Hop, do Yoga/Pilates my holidays are spent backpacking around the world or walking pilgrimage sites.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since April 2013. I soon became a ride leader as I love planning routes for people to enjoy (hopefully they do!).
- The bike I ride is a Dawes Super Galaxy. I’m also seen on the back of a big red tandem on our mixed rides and I keep an e-bike for commuting.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is the annual summer outing to Combe Reading Room. I also enjoy going north up the Cherwell valley.
- For me, Isis Cyclists has meant a transformation of my life! I can’t believe I took so long to discover the group.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I look after this website and have a number of cultural interests.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since… 2012 (I think!)
- The bike I ride is a Specialized sporty hybrid; versatile, great to ride and much used, (almost) no matter the weather. Occasionally on longer (dry) rides I’ll treat myself and use my lovely Cannondale roadie.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is hard to decide as I like so many, if not all!
- For me, Isis Cyclists means doing one of my very favourite things (cycling!) with old friends & often new people and always having a fab time (and often fab cake).
- When I’m not out on my bike, I drive a car… and read. Not at the same time.
- I’ve been riding with Isis Cyclists since… 2008-ish.
- The bike I ride is an old tourer I bought second hand from another Isis rider when I first joined the group. It was already pretty old then, and I’ve replaced most of it, apart from the frame and wheels.
- My favourite ride is Sunday morning from home into Summertown for a yoga class and then the farmers market returning with two full paniers.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means encouragement to get out on my bike more often.
- I’ve been riding with Isis since February 2009 and haven’t looked back!
- The bike I ride is a Trek 720 hybrid circa 1996/97 – an old (and heavy) friend and my ticket to the countryside.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is the spring flowers ride that I lead in February or March each year, which passes through some beautiful villages and peaceful countryside.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means socialising while exercising, camaraderie and adventure by bike.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I work full-time, and in my spare time I enjoy practising yoga (preferably outdoors), relaxing in my garden and generally just being outdoors communing with nature.
- I’ve been riding with Isis since 2010.
- The bike I ride is a Trek Pilot 1.2 women-specific design, 2006 model.
- My favourite routes for an Isis Cyclists ride are to the café at Aston Pottery and the Waterfront, Benson.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means lovely rides and lovely company. It’s the hidden delights we find en route that you’d never find otherwise and wouldn’t stop to see in a car (e.g. the church and garden at Adwell on our 50-mile ride in 2018); also the wildlife that you see over the hedgerow.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I’m to be found in a pub.
- I’ve been riding with Isis since 2009-ish. I was introduced to the group by my mother who is a member of Cycling UK. She noticed an article about the Isis cycling group in her cycling magazine and thought I might like to give it a go too!
- The bike I ride is a hybrid Trek bike; it is a real joy to ride and great for off-road cycling.
- My favourite route for an Isis Cyclists ride is along the National cycle network routes and the Sustrans cycle paths away from road traffic.
- For me, Isis Cyclists means a brilliant way to get out on my bike in the safety of a group and enjoy some healthy discussions, exercise and fresh air.
- When I’m not out on my bike, I enjoy swimming, snorkelling and yoga.