Important message: Isis Cyclists and coronavirus
On 23rd March, as an informal sub-group of Oxford Cycling UK, Isis Cyclists cancelled all rides until further notice following advice from Cycling UK’s headquarters. However, it’s important to note that you can still go out on your bicycle, provided that you take precautions to minimise the risk to yourself and others.
On 1st June, modifications were made to Government guidance on exercise and on mixing with people outside your household. Cycling UK has updated its Coronavirus Q&A page in accordance with this new guidance. For cyclists in England, Cycling UK’s key messages are:
- There is no limit on duration or frequency of exercise, or the distance you can travel to exercise.
- You should continue to stay alert and limit your contact with others; therefore, you should stay at home ‘as much as possible.’
- You can now meet outside with up to five other people, provided those from different households continue strictly to observe social distancing rules by staying two metres apart.
- The Government’s guidance would appear to confirm that up to six people can now cycle together in a socially distanced group, though cycling in a group is not specifically mentioned in the guidance.
- If you develop symptoms of Covid-19, or you have been in close proximity to people with symptoms, stay at home: do not go out.
If you are thinking of going for a ride, we strongly encourage you to read out Cycling UK’s Coronavirus Q&A page and advice and guidance for group cycling in detail. And don’t forget that you can find some ideas for rides in our selection of Isis Cyclists routes.
In normal times, we say:
Welcome to Isis Cyclists, an informal member group of Oxford Cycling UK. We publish details of our rides month by month, and you’ll find the current month’s rides below this introduction. The rides are posted here shortly after the publication of our email newsletter, which is normally published on the last Tuesday of the previous month. If you’d like to receive the email version of the newsletter as well, please write to the editor through the Contact Us page.
We aim to start each ride promptly, and so we encourage people to meet 15 minutes before the advertised start time in order to welcome new riders, catch up with familiar faces and sign the riders’ list. We don’t publish the ride leaders’ contact details on this site, but if you have any queries about a particular ride, please get in touch through the Contact Us page at least a couple of days beforehand.
Isis Cyclists and Oxford Cycling UK are part of Cycling UK.
“The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community.” – Ann Strong, 1895